A number of our tools require some level of access to your web server. This can be achieved via FTP, SFTP~ or SSH protocols. The preferred protocol will always be SFTP or SSH but sometimes, its only offered for a fee, or the host is unfamiliar with how to create these access points.
We’ve compiled this quick tutorial on the creation of an FTP account specifically for SiteGround users.
A File Transfer Protocol (FTP) account will allow us to access your website’s files. The FTP credentials we need to connect to your site are:
- FTP server (host)
- Port (default is 21)
Log Into Your SiteGround Account
- Log into your SiteGround Administrative Panel
- Log in using the username that SiteGround emailed to you.
- Click My Accounts and then click the cPanel button.
- Scroll down to the Files section and click FTP Accounts.
- Under Add FTP Account, type a username and password.
- For the directory, use /public_html
- SiteGround automatically adds a subdirectory that needs to be removed, or we won’t be able to access your site.
Click Create FTP Account, then scroll down to the new account.
Under the Actions column, click Configure FTP Client next to the new account you created.
- Note the FTP username, FTP server and the password you chose for the new account.