A number of our tools require some level of access to your web server. This can be achieved via FTP, SFTP~ or SSH protocols. The preferred protocol will always be SFTP or SSH but sometimes, its only offered for a fee, or the host is unfamiliar with how to create these access points.
We’ve compiled this quick tutorial on the creation of an FTP account specifically for SoftLayer users.
A File Transfer Protocol (FTP) account will allow us to access your website’s files. The FTP credentials we need to connect to your site are:
- SFTP server (host)
- Port (default is 22)
Log Into Your SoftLayer Account
- Log into your SoftLayer Administrative Panel
- Log in using the User ID that SoftLayer sent in your welcome email.
- Click Devices on the navigation menu and select Device List.
- Note the Public IP of your site.
- Click your site to expand and view the Username and Password.
- Provide us with the IP Address as your SFTP Server, your Username, and your Password.
SoftLayer only allows SSH or SFTP connections. If you wish to create a new user account, you can only do this via SSH. See this article for instructions: http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/creating-ftp-account-within-linux